Friday 27 December 2013

Faces

In April, I signed up for Andrea Gomoll's FACEcinating Girls class. No matter how many classes I take, the faces I draw always look like zombies. So, you may ask, why take another class? What intrigued me about this particular class was, that apart from videos, you get a set of stamps to build your face. So you don't have to care (much) about drawing eyes or mouth, you just pay attention to the correct proportions.


These were my first faces...


I wish the set came with eyebrows and eyelashes...


I was so encouraged by my results, that I wanted to paint a face in my Alpha Journal. I first painted the background with just outlines of the face. And then I waited... and waited... Then I added the lettering and went on waiting... I was so afraid of ruining the page so it took me several weeks to muster all my courage to shade the face.


I think this turned out to be the best face I'd ever drawn. I still struggle with the flesh tones - my faces always end up brownish rather than pinkish - but I'm happy with what I have here...

 I is for Improving (Alpha Journal)

Update on faces: After several months without practice, my faces, again, are beginning to look like aliens...


BTW, Andrea is now offering FACEcinating Girls Volume 2 - with two more stamps sets!

No comments:

Post a Comment