Monday 2 March 2015

PaperArtsy Theme 4: Miniature Art

I was slightly at a loss with the new PaperArtsy challenge. Miniature Art? I'm doing the challenges in a journal so I'm limited a bit by what I can use on my page. I was thinking about all the options I had - I could do some miniature thingy on the cover but I'm not ready to paint the cover yet... or... I could do some miniature element on the journal page itself - but the layout would have to "compliment" the miniature in some way... At this point, I was even considering skipping this challenge out.
The best option seemed to be the shrink plastic but I didn't know how to use it on a page. But luckily, I have two 3km journeys to/back from work a day to let my mind wander... Walking can be so inspiring...


When in doubt, do what you know the best. I decided to return to one of my trusted techniques. (Find more about this technique here.)

First, I created outlines using a 3D Lack by Nerchau.


While this was drying, I stamped the shrink plastic with some of my circular stamps. 


I cut out the shapes and shrank them. 
[I think I should revise the English irregular verbs... shrink-shrank-shrunk... geez...]


When the outlines dried, I covered the page with gesso.


I used kitchen sponge to apply the acrylic paint.


Then I added the shrunk elements. 


Finally, I highlighted the raised areas with white outline paint.


I also added some miniature clay heads.


P.S. I reallly love the "I don't feel like working today" stamp :-D


6 comments:

  1. Love it, the shrink bits and the spikes, great design. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I really liked your in-progress stages you tweeted, and I never imagined it would turn out like this! But now you have explained about the journal that makes sense! I did wonder at the start of the challenge to suggest people work in a journal so they have a reference at the end of the year. I don't know when we say shrunk vs shrank, but both work for me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. The shrink pieces are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colour palette is gorgeous, and I love your take on miniature art - perfect for a journal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing page, Fabulous idea and design. love the shrank pieces and tiny clay faces. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wow wow absolutely stunning gorgeous page and wow the colours and the shrink plastic stamps look awesome, and the middle look totally amazing. Love it. Happy Art :-) Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete