Sunday 22 November 2015

Documented Life: October

October Theme
Translucent Papers

October's been a difficult month for me - call it "creative crisis" or "Muse was on holiday" but whatever it was, it left me wanting to paint but not enjoying it at all.


For the first time in the whole year I was behind with the pages - some I started and not finished, some I skipped... Now, at the end of November, I finally caught up and I'm able to share my pages.

This theme - Translucent Papers - should have been a blessing because I almost always start with a piece of tissue/deli paper - to strengthen the page and to have something in the background to work with. But as I said, October was not the best time for art...


Week 40
Art Challenge: Deli Paper
Journal Prompt:  You Had Me At Hello

I got stuck on this page for 6 weeks.


It started with a couple of gelli-plate-printed deli papers and there was no reason for me to get stuck. But then I stamped the faces (a Stampotique stamp) and got lost.


I wasn't really motivated to finish it - so I only added the words and called it done.

Week 41 
Art Challenge: Tissue Paper
Journal Prompt:  The Disappearing Trick

Another page that doesn't look like a trouble-maker but in was a pain-you-know-where.


I started with a collage of patterned tissues. What was I thinking? Using a distinctive pattern like this? With lines? Glued not exactly parallel with the edges of the page? 


It needed a couple of weeks of rest and then a coat of gesso... A bit of the pattern is still visible under the gesso and some distress paints.


I added die-cut flowers to the top and a quote. This one has a happy ending.

Week 42
Art Challenge: Vellum
Journal Prompt:  Sheer Genius

Here, I also started with gelli-plate-printed deli papers but I didn't know how to incorporate the vellum.


I took a stencil and a tool with a rounded point and "embossed" the pattern to the vellum paper.


Week 43
Art Challenge: Glassine
Journal Prompt:  Windows of My Mind

With this page, I finally had a feeling of my creative joy returning. I used a piece of packaging that had windows cut into it.


I don't have any glassine paper. I don't even know where I could get one so I used vellum to write a quote on. 

Week 44
Art Challenge: Tea Bags, Dryer Sheets, Fibrous Papers
Journal Prompt:  Just Create!

I had lots of ideas for this page but most required drinking a lot of cups of tea (which I wouldn't mind) and waiting for the teabags to dry. I dismissed those because I didn't want to wait.  I decided to empty a couple of teabags (of some herbal tea I didn't like) and use the paper.


I stamped some feathers and other patterns on the teabag paper and collaged it as I normally would with any other tissue paper. 


That's it for October - Novembers brings my favourite art supply - stencils - so it should be so much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment